Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Ills - Cold Wind's Riot [post-rock]

Post-rock is just great, I don't understand how only one other person I know listens to this stuff. It is quite the misfortune as I would want nothing more than to share all this wealth of music with other appreciators, but alas, that life is not for me...

Well anyway, typical melodrama aside, just heard this really great EP, We Love Silence, But Silence Is Awkward by The Ills released in 2009 (EP available for free here). The band itself is from Slovakia and, apparently, strives for a sound that goes beyond the stereotypical post-rock combine elements from other genres such as shoegaze (lucky me), math-rock, sludge, etc.

So, the shoegaze influence is undeniable as the characteristic fuzzy airy electric is present in most of the songs on this EP and it's definitely something I undeniably do appreciate. For whatever reason, there's just something about the noise that I find just a cut above clean guitars. Maybe it's a result from listening to all that grunge growing up? Who knows.


1 comment: