Monday, September 10, 2012

Sigur Rós - Varúð [post-rock]

This post is too long ... oh well.

Sigur Rós was my first exposure to the realm of post-rock. Two specific memories come to mind but I don't really remember which one came first.

The first of these happened when I was watching The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (one of my favourite movies, by the way). The song Starálfur came on during the film's climax and I have to say that both the music and the scene itself made it such a touching scene. I honestly would've cried if only I hadn't been such a macho man back then (I still am now but I also was back then). As an aside, given the pacing of the scene, I guess Starálfur's tempo was a little faster than optimal but one does not simply find suitable substitutes for Starálfur.

The second instance happened when I was channel surfing and happened to find something intriguing on MuchMusic: Untitled #1 (aka Vaka). The music was so fresh, so different from all that other stuff I had usually heard on MuchMusic (not to sound like a total hipster jackass, of course). The video was also a bit heart-wrenching (by all means examine for yourself via the link above). I think I tried to remember the name so I could look into their music more later but to no avail. It wasn't until very recently that I found out that video I saw all those years ago was by Sigur Rós at all. There was a sense of completion when I found out, at the very least it was a loose end that actually became resolved.

Well, anyway, both those events were at least a good eight years ago. Since that time, Sigur Rós has gone into and returned from an, at the time, "indefinite" hiatus. To quote their site when it happened, some members needed some time to "make some babies". As to their future, that doesn't seem as clear. I swear last month I read a magazine article saying that Valtari (released back in May this year) would probably be their last album. Today, I read that they have a European tour planned for 2013 and a potential new album. Well, regardless, they seem to be together right now and for at least next year so... why don't we just let good things be good things and leave it at that.

There's no real thing I wanted to share. I just went and watched that video for Vaka earlier today and wanted to put that part of my life down somewhere. But, here is "Varúð" from their latest album Valtari. There's another video on your YouTube page featuring Shia "The Beef" but not only was the video a little graphic but the song itself wasn't particularly my cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment