Sunday, January 12, 2020

Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio

The Battle of Los Angeles was one of the first albums that I owned, thanks to "Guerilla Radio" being on The Countdown on MuchMusic. I'm pretty sure my mom had no idea what any of the song, album, or band were all about. But I'm glad she did get it for me ... artists like Rage Against the Machine really helped develop my perspective as a teenager to be inquisitive and not to be ever-trusting of institutional thought.

I had been recently relistening to this album before the recently fulminating crisis with Iran. It vexes to see that the themes (and even the specific context) of this song is still so harrowingly relevant today. 2020's been a mess so far. I hope one day I won't have to be a resigned cynic. For now, I will grieve with the world for those lost and whom/what will be lost.

"Guerilla Radio" by Rage Against the Machine from their 1999 album The Battle of Los Angeles

Addendum: I guess it's almost fitting that Rage Against the Machine (with Zach) is actually getting back together to play a few shows, namely Coachella this year. While I normally would be ecstatic to know that a band so influential in my development was getting back together, I also lament that their music is still (so) relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment