Sunday, March 5, 2017

Japanese Breakfast - In Heaven

Been listening to Japanese Breakfast a lot lately. There are many draws for me for their song "In Heaven". The Psychopomp album comes from the time shortly after frontwoman Michelle Zauner had gone through the loss of her mother. The readily apparent earnestness in her lyrics, to me, is an invitation to connect with her. For better and worse, I've yet to be privy to the full spectrum of human experience. Not that the experiences that "In Heaven" surround are pleasant to any degree, songs like these grant me, the listener, a temporary vicarious experience ... some part of me wants to believe that it somehow helps me understand humanity and the associated experience a bit better. In a much smaller part, the slight shoegaze influence in some of the instrumentals is well received (they're opening for SLOWDIVE?!?! ... of course that local show has already been sold out ... u_u).

I've opted to link a live version because I think they're just so cool as a band live. Also, despite the name, Michelle Zauner is Korean.

"In Heaven" by Japanese Breakfast from their 2016 album Psychopomp

No comments:

Post a Comment