Wednesday, June 20, 2012

惘闻 - 污水塘 [post-rock]

惘闻 (Wang Wen) are a rock/post-rock band from China. Their bios on various sites say that the band began in 1999 with two guitarists with a particular fondness for The Smashing Pumpkins and a drummer, after whom the band was named. This is 污水塘, translated as "Sewage Pond" though idiomatically it's probably more along the lines of "Sewer" or something (perhaps I oughtta consider picking up my semi-mother tongue sometime later), which can be found on their 2008 album IV.

Having Chinese music being completely synonymous to pop music for the entirety of my life, I was very surprised when I first heard Wang Wen's stuff, though I suppose that it seems more of an inevitability with a country with over a billion people. I guess that's what happens when the only Chinese media that I follow comes from a single television channel and a couple of radio stations.


No comments:

Post a Comment