Monday, December 17, 2018

Laibach - The Sound Of Music

I'm just going to go ahead and not categorize Laibach. A few years ago, prior to their visit to North Korea (the first Western band to ever do so), John Oliver described them mostly as a pro-fascist rock band. But I've also read comments about how it may also be an absurdist take. There was (recently?) a documentary about their visit to NK and this album was also inspired from their performance there. Apparently, The Sound Of Music is used there to teach English so Laibach had ended up performing a good number of covers.

I'm utterly opposed ideologically to fascism and supporting North Korea in any way allows them to continue their government's oppressive control of the people there. But I have to recognize the cultural significance of this music video. And, damn, do I feel fraught with all these complex feelings of anxiety and hopelessness for all those children in the music video. I feel so powerless to do anything from behind this stupid laptop screen. But, at the very least, maybe maintain support for our democratic institutions on my side ... something that's been in serious decline recently.

Fuck, dude.

"The Sound Of Music" by Laibach from their 2018 album The Sound Of Music

No comments:

Post a Comment