Monday, February 12, 2018

Rich Brian (featuring JojI) - Introvert

I was really excited that Rich Brian (formerly Rich Chigga) was finally releasing a full album instead of the onslaught of singles that he had been doing for the last two years. I really enjoyed the album and not even just for the music. I think a large part of my appreciation is for the narrative of Brian himself. 

He went from being a home-schooled dude learning a lot of colloquial Western English from YouTube to being featured on the Late Late Show with James Corden. And when you see interviews with Brian, you see that he's very well grounded and well-intentioned. The cynic in me does want to focus on what seems to be an element of naivete. But, as I think about it, I realize that's less important. People will experience a plethora of things as they develop as humans ... I'm sure he has many ups and downs to experience in his relatively short life/career so far. 

I think I appreciate Rich Brian for the same reason I had appreciated Alessia Cara when she first had "Here" out as a single: a young person pursuing an interest wholeheartedly and being able to make something out of it. Honestly, I think these types are people are just very good role models for teenagers and it feels like we can never have too many of those in this day and age of media saturation.

Anyway, that's the rant. Here's a link to one of the songs I really liked:

"Introvert" by Rich Brian (featuring Joji) from his debut 2018 album Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment