Sunday, September 3, 2017

Slowdive - Star Roving

Slowdive was a thing before my time but they sure were there to get me through many dark confusing moments. I got their album before summer and have been listening to it once in a while. MBV and Slowdive really eased me into the whole shoegaze dream pop thing ... and those two genres have really become core attributes of my musical preference. The beauty of their music for me has been its uncanny ability to permeate into the crevices of my head and, for a brief moment, drown out all those meddling voices yammering on and on about the day's trials and tribulations.

Of course I was hugely excited when I had first heard of the new Slowdive album earlier in the year (first album in 22 years, who wouldn't be). And, of course, I was hugely disappointed when I found out their show in Toronto had been sold out way long ago (Japanese Breakfast opening for them also a respectable combo move onto my overall hype, well played).

A part of me actually was shying away from listening to the album and watching live performances. "What if I didn't like their new stuff" "What if I got sick of it and this was the last time they'd release something as a group" ... thoughts like were probably subtly slithering in my subconscious. That wouldn't be the first time I would've reacted that way (still haven't watched Wet Hot American Summer stuff on Netflix). Well, that's neither here nor there ... I'll figure out that part of me sometime.

Back to the actual music, unfortunately, my favourite songs from the album have not been uploaded onto (or perhaps not retained on) YouTube. Don't get me wrong ... "Star Roving" is great ... I just have this very obvious weakness to female vocals so clearly a prominent Rachel Goswell song is something I could never turn away from (*ahem* ... "Everyone Knows"). Here's a link to "Star Roving". Honourable mentions from the album include "Slomo", "Don't Know Why", "Everyone Knows".

"Star Roving" by Slowdive from their eponymous 2017 album Slowdive


(Thanks, Slowdive)

No comments:

Post a Comment